recent buzz... Added aerial photo coverage for all of Fluvanna County Virginia in the year 1959. View of Fork Union Military Academy
Topic Title         RESOLUTION OPTIONS
2019-11-07 08:32:55 ARCHKRIS i am new to this site so have no idea on the clarity of the image resolutions offered, i have 1 view selected from a B &W 1955 time date that i would like to purchase but the issue i am having is what the differences are from worst to best to purchase. i will be looking for evidence of an old French Fur Trader's cabin circa 1816, the cabin had a French Quebec farm house style fireplace made from the nearby river rock, evidence of this fireplace still standing has been reported in Historical writings from the early 1900's, the selection i have made(1955) shows the target area wide open with no tree canopy in the way. also to how much can you zoom in based on the resolutions?, thanks for any help!
2019-11-07 14:05:12 Jeff

The resolution of the imagery is what you see in the viewer.  It's not degraded.  What you see is what you'll get.  The different pixel download options don't apply to "resolution" in the manner that is commonly thought of, it translates more to area than clarity.  I'll explain....If you are zoomed into an area and it's starting to have a blur or tiled effect, then you are too close.  We often refer to this as beyond the native resolution of the original scan.  If you see that, I suggest zooming out until you do not have a tiled effect, then select the area and keep the selection square the full size.  With that method you will only need an 1800 pixel download, anything more than that is overkill and can potentially effect the download adversely.  Yes you may end up with surround image that you do not need, but that's how you get the clearest photo.  Forcing 1800 pixels into an area that may have only had 500 pixels in the original scan, is going to result in a poorer image download.  The larger download options (3600 and 7200) are beneficial for larger selection areas.  Meaning you can download a large area of land (subdivision, section of a city, large farm), and still maintain whatever the original resolution was, when zooming in on the larger selection.  Which would allow you to download 1 image, but pinpoint focus on mulitiple areas within that one image.  If you are already zoomed in to the point of being at maximum resolution with the area you select, the additional pixels are only going to be forced into the image and you will not benefit from it.  General rule of thumb is if you're focusing on a small area, stick to the smaller download, and as previously mentioned, what you see in the viewer window IS the actual scan quality.  All of our imagery varies from location to locatoin and year to year.  Everywhere is different and the viewer is how you determine if the image has enough quality to be helpful for your needs.  Feel free to ask any additional question here, or email support@historicaerials.com for a quicker response.  

Please wait while we prepare your image

It appears that you have exhausted your credits for this month. That's ok, we'll spot you a few until your monthly subscription turns over. To get more credits before then, you might want to consider bumping your subscription to the next level. Otherwise, just wait until when you'll receive a new allotment for the month. If you still aren't satisfied, we would be happy to discuss your situation. Just call us during business hours at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Unfortunately you have spent your quota of credits for the month. To get more credits before then, you might want to consider bumping your subscription to the next level. Otherwise, just wait until when you'll receive a new allotment for the month. If you still aren't satisfied, we would be happy to discuss your situation. Just call us during business hours at (480) 967-6752.

As a subscriber you are allocated a set number of credits each month. By downloading imagery you will use one or more of your monthly credits.  Topo downloads are included with your subscription and will not be subtracted from your credit allocation.  To continue, simply click Ok, otherwise click Cancel.

Don't display this again